Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A weekend together at home, on waiting, and a Tornado...oh my!

We just had a wonderful long weekend! My husband was home, which was really nice. Raphael was really grateful to be home too...especially to sleep in his own bed, I think! It's going by really fast now...there are only two weeks of classes left, and then it's final exams. I will have some correcting to do, but at least I can be in the same city as my husband then :0)

I find it hard being apart for so long, we miss each other a lot! Of course we call each other a few times a day, and we see each other most weekends...but still, it's not the same. It's hard to have serious conversations and to make plans when we're far apart. Some things you just can't really discuss over the phone. It was really nice to catch up over the weekend :0) We had fondu (our absolute favorite!) for dinner on Saturday night. This is always fun, because you sit around and take your time to eat with fondu. We watched a couple of movies. The weather was nice and we took out our bbq and patio set as well, and had our first bbq of the season last night! It was sunny and warm when I went to get the groceries and decided on bbq, but by the time Raph came home from work for dinner, the clouds had come in and it was raining. So we ended up eating inside. The food was really yummy anyway, and we had a nice evening.

On Sunday, we found out that a tornado hit our new neighbourhood during the night! Now how freaky is that! One of our new neighbours (a future mama to a filipino bambino!) was kind enough to offer to go by our house to check it out. I thought that was really sweet, and appreciate it a lot. Particularly since they were very busy and in the middle of cleaning up after the mess the tornado made. I was very reassured when she wrote me back that everything looked fine. Since we haven't moved in and taken possession of the house yet, we are not responsible for any damage...but I was still a little edgy and worried. Unfortunately, our new neighbours were not so lucky...their house was hit, and there was several thousand dollars of damage. Je vous souhaite bon courage!! Hey, c'est une belle excuse pour refaire le plancher de votre cuisine...hehehe
The important thing is that no one was hurt.
My mom had a good and interesting way of looking at this and seeing it in a positive light...I will do the same. Anyway, it's mother nature...what can you do?! We have no control over that.

The wait for the adoption and the move is going well...much better than I thought! I am feeling a little discouraged at how long I'm seeing some families wait for their referrals though. I realize that it's a numbers game, and it's a question of how many children are available for adoption in the Philippines versus the number of couples who applied. It's still very frustrating to see families waiting for so long...
It makes me wonder, when will our turn come?! How long will we have to wait?
As my husband always says, our turn will come...let's enjoy our time together as a couple (just the two of us!) and make the best of it before our child arrives...once there's a third person in the picture, everything will change! We should travel and do things that will be more difficult once we have a little one.
And we'll never get this time back....

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amber,

    Glad to hear that you had a nice weekend with your hubby and that the new house is ok - it's one less thing you have to worry about! I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be separated every week. The next couple of months are just going to fly by for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, a tornado! That's just crazy! I'm glad to hear that your home was okay and that no one was hurt.
    Enjoy your time with just the two of you because once your child arrives, it will never be just the two of you again! I must say, we are enjoying our time with just the two of us but there are days when I would love to know we were soon getting a referral. Only time will tell!

    ReplyDelete