Tuesday, April 28, 2009

ICAB temporarily suspending new applications for adoption of chidren aged 0-36 months

Okay, there has been a rumor going around that ICAB was going to stop accepting adoption applications for children ages 0-36 months as of May 1st, 2009. I read on the website that there's a grace period though. Our resource person Anik never contacted me and I hadn't heard it from any official source, so I figured it probably just wasn't true! At least, I really hoped that it was just a rumour.

I just saw on Tangie's blog (thank you for the info and for giving such a quick update!) that the rumor has been confirmed. I went to go check out the website of our adoption agency, and indeed there is an official message explaining the situation. The Philippines will no longer accepting new applicants for adoption of babies ages 0-36 months. Apparently, they had a lot of applicants this past year, and now they're really back-logged. In order to accelerate the matching process, and to encourage the adoption of older children over the age of five, they're closing application for the adoption of younger infants temporarily. I guess most families want a baby, but they need people to adopt the older children too. There is no official date for when they will open again, but they have stated that they will remain closed until 50% of the families whom already have files open with ICAB have received a referral. It is not clear what will happen to folders already in progress...

I have to admit I had a bad feeling about this...I have been seeing families on various blogs waiting longer and longer, and I figured something might be up. It doesn't affect us in that our file is in the Philippines and we've already been accepted, but our wait will likely be longer than we thought :0( Then again, maybe this news will help speed things up...I guess that is the point, after all. We'll just have to wait and see...

Of course, I should not complain. There are so many families out there in the process of preparing their files right now, and they will have to wait till the Philippines re-opens. No one knows how long that might take, but it could be anywhere from a few months to a couple of years. Or perhaps they can choose to adopt an older child? What about those who just sent off their files and are waiting for ICAB approval? They are left in the dark for the moment as to what will happen. My heart goes out to all of these families! I can't imagine how frustrating and painful this must be. I feel very lucky to have received ICAB approval...
At the same time, thinking of the other famiies, I feel kind of guilty too!

I'm a bit discouraged at the long delay that lies ahead of us. Time has been flying by so far, and I was very optimistic that our wait would go by fast and that we'd get a referral really quickly...this is a wake up call! I realize now that there are a lot of other couples in the same position as us. As I wrote in my last post....I know it's a simple numbers game! There are only so many babies available for adoption in the Philippines, and there are soooo many families wanting to adopt...
I am actually surprised to see how many families are turning to international adoption.

We originally wanted to adopt from China, but we were told to expect to wait five years so we decided to look into the Philippines. I guess we weren't the only ones to have this idea...

I wish everybody the best!

10 comments:

  1. Try to stay positive...your referral will come when you least expect it...ours happened that way! My heart aches for the families in the dark, too! Your husband is right...what he said on the last post...enjoy your time together now because when you are a family of 3, everything will change...a good change but nonetheless a major change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I hadn't heard this yet. How sad for all of the families starting the process and waiting to hear ICAB approval. Yes, it does seem that the wait for a referral is getting much longer. We trust that God is matching us with the perfect child for our family and we know that one day our time will come. Thankfully, our girls keep us super busy and it helps the time pass a little easier although there isn't a day that I wake up and think...this could be the day. Now is the time for you guys to do all of the things that you have wanted to do because once kids come, it can be much harder to work those plans in. I agree with your husband too, enjoy your time together as two. Keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Amber,

    I just happened upon your blog yesterday and I spent the evening reading the posts since the start of your blog. I am so excited to finally be in contact with someone in the same situation as mine and in my own province as well.

    Concerning the change at the ICAB there is not much we can do about it but geezz...it doesn't feel to good. On the other hand though, I did come accross a radio report dated April 16th 2009 about some changes in the Adoption process in the Philippines. Up to now, it could take up to 2 or 3 years before the Philippines government would officially declare a child abandonned, or adoptable. Because most parents to be request children below 24 or 36 monhts, they are left waiting and waiting. The new rules have apparently dropped this delay to the regular 6 months + 24 days. This should increase the quantity of the younger adoptable children. Doesn't this sound good? I thought you might want to hear the report, it's in French:
    http://www.france-info.com/spip.php?article279710&theme=81&sous_theme=190

    I hope this brings a positive boost to most of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice,
    it's really nice to meet you! I'm glad that you found me. It's always great to get to know other families adopting from the Philippines...it makes me feel supported, understood and less alone ;0)

    As for the report, thanks for sharing! That is great news! Maybe our wait won't be so long after all...I think I just have to keep busy and go with the flow...the referral will come when it comes :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy and Jenny,
    thank you both so much for your kind words of support and encouragement!
    I too trust that we'll be matched with the right child for our family...I just hope it happens sooner rather than later :0)
    There does seem to be some good news though! Apparently, the changes at ICAB go into effect as of May 1st, but there's a grace period for those already with the agency and currently working on their folders...so people still have a bit of time to get their files out :0)

    I should probably take your advice and listen to my husband, make the most out of our last moments together as a couple rather than spending it speculating and thinking about what our future will be like once we have a child. As my mom always advises me, LIVE IN THE MOMENT! I'm a dreamer, so I have to work on that! I will try hard to do this. I know that keeping busy and staying in the moment are the best things that any of us can do whille we wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you receive your referral soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Rachel, but I still have quite a ways to go! I'm barely three months into the wait :0)
    You could say I'm practicing...I hear that the wait to travel once you get your referral is actually much harder! I'll find out for myself soon enough...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber, I hope that the wait doesn't get too long for all of us involved. It is hard to tell what will happen so we'll just have to enjoy each day as it comes. I'm just happy that summer is approaching and that we are many months away from winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Renee, I totally agree with you!
    Amen to summer and sunshine :-)
    Let's enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i heard that for adoption applications that were sent to ICAB prior to the moratorium will be considered as grandfathered....they will be processed as is...

    ReplyDelete