Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Can't wait for spring to really begin!

Living in northern Quebec, the winters can be very long! We get lots of snow, and it gets very cold. The temperature actually went down to -52 degrees celcius one night!! That's crazy!! At that temperature, it hurts to breathe when you're outside, even for the short walk to the car. We got our first snow fall in October this year. Basically, during the month of November, it snowed almost every day. I got stuck in our driveway with the car, there was so much snow. We haven't seen grass since October. Actually, during spring break, we went to Montreal for a few days and we did see some grass and leaves then....our little doggie was very happy and excited to see some grass! The snow was beginning to melt over there. It's beginning to melt over here too, but not as fast as in the city. Here are some winter pics of me and my little doggie:





You should see her run! She runs like a rabbit, it's really funny to see...




Lots of snow means lots of shovelling...for my husband, that is! lol
Well, usually the last real snow storms are the end of March, and after that, the snow starts to melt and the real spring begins. Usually spring begins more around Easter than on March 21st.

Well, it's only a couple of more months, and then we are moving back to the city!!
I really enjoyed the peace and quiet, going for walks in the woods, the clean air and water...I even enjoyed the ATV (to my big surprise!) but I am glad to be going back to the city! I miss the good restaurants, the theatre, movies and shows, the variety of cultural activities and festivals, public transportation, and of course....shopping!

Raph started his new position on Monday. I can't wait to go and join him! We found ourselves a real estate agent, so we're actively looking for a new house....and the paper work is under way to begin the sale of our house over here. During Easter, we hope to go and visit some houses. It's exciting, but also stressful. I'm really looking forward to starting our new life together over there, and hopefully we will soon be joined by our forever child! Today I found a couple of local bloggers over the internet, based at our new destination, also adopting from the Philippines. I'm really excited to get in touch with them!! I think it's important to build a strong support network and not go through this alone. Especially since we're in the process of adoption, and moving to a new city! Hey, it's always great to meet new people going through the same process!!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Amber! I am really glad that you found me! :) Welcome in Gatineau! :)

    I don't know where you are now, but here, we don't have a lot of snow any more! :)

    I wish that your move will be easy! :) Write me at tlemieux@solution-s.ca if you want to chat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Just wanted to say that I have found your blog last night... just as I was updating my own... :) And wanted to say that you moving to another part of the province won't affect or delay your file in the Philippines :)

    Good luck!!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci beaucoup Tangie et Melanie, c'est très gentille de votre part!! J'apprecie beaucoup...

    Tangie, Raphael is in Gatineau right now and he tells me that there's not much snow left on the ground...can't wait to see for myself!
    Thanks again, I will definitely take you up on your offer ;0)

    Melanie, thanks for reassuring me that our move won't affect our adoption file in the Philippines!

    As you know, my husband and I are shopping for a house in Gatineau-Hull. Maybe you guys can give us some advise on which areas in Gatineau to avoid, and which are the good neighborhoods!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in The Plateau in Hull sector. It is a GREAT neighborhood! Very friendly, lots of kids, 2 great school, alot of parks, and 3 minutes from the Gatineau Park, where you can walk, ski, cycle, etc.. And 3 minutes from the cinema, the grocery, the littles boutiques!

    And... no traffic in the morning! :D But it always depends where you work! :D

    Good luck in your search! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, good luck on finding a house. We have the best of both worlds here where we live. We are just 10 minutes outside of the city, yet we live practically in the woods. My husband can just drive the ATV out of the garage and go right into the woods. It's great!

    We've had a good winter this year. The snow didn't start until late January and it ended in late February. We then had a full month with no snow, isn't that unbelievable! However, winter has returned with avengance and we are now blanketed in snow again. It sounds like you guys have had a LONG winter - sorry!

    That's great news that you've met other families adopting from the Philippines. Won't it be fun when all of your children can get together to play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As for a house, see, I'm a bit far from Tangie's (Hey Tangie!)... well, maybe 30 minutes drive. If you are looking more for a small village type of place, you can look in the Masson-Angers area/sector. It's a bit farther but still, it's a nice place to live. Houses are also a bit cheaper than in the "city". The school is nearby, grocery store nearby, gas station, Tim Horton's (hey, who needs a coffee in the morning eh?! heehee) :) And they are building a new project right in my area :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the helpful info, Tangie and Melanie! Raphael went to visit the first couple of houses this week, but he didn't fall in love with any of them. We did find a few houses online, and we can't wait to go and visit them!!

    ReplyDelete