Sunday, June 7, 2009

A nice rendez-vous, and a nice weekend overall!

We've been having a great weekend! The weather's been nice, and we've had lots of nice activities. Raph arrived on Friday. He played golf during the day with some colleagues, and I had my last day of correcting English exams at the College. On Saturday, my six year old niece K had her karate test to get her yellow belt. Raph and I had the privilege to go and watch her. It was really neat to see. She was so concentrated and disciplined! And, she passed her yellow belt. She was the youngest and one of the smallest in the group, but she did it. I am so proud of her!

After the karate, Raph and I had a meeting with a couple adopting from the Philippines. I've been following their blog for a couple of months now, and they happen to live close by to my brother's house! So, we thought it could be nice for us to meet in person! We seemed to have a lot in common, and the timing was good. Being shy and introverted, I admit that I was a little bit nervous about the meeting at first...but I really didn't need to be! It was really nice, and it kind of felt like we already knew each other. I felt comfortable and at ease, which I'm really happy about. It was just great to be able to talk openly and freely about adoption and the Philippines with people going through the same experience! It's different from talking with my family and friends about this...since they're going through the same process as us, they truly seem to understand how we feel and what we're going through. It seemed like sometimes I didn't even need to finish a sentence, and they already knew and understood what I meant. It was just nice to be able to share and exchange! And the guys seemed to get along as well, which is always a very nice bonus :0) We had really interesting discussions, and I hope that we will be able to do it again soon :0)
I'm looking forward to meeting other families in the process of adopting from the Philippines in the near future! There are a couple of families in the Gatineau area whom I've been in touch with, and there's also a family living not far off from where my in-law's live...so, I hope that I'll get the chance to meet up with them this summer, once we've settled into our new house :0)
I feel very lucky to have found so many families in the process of adopting from the Philippines in our area, and I'm really looking forward to meeting them in person :0)

7 comments:

  1. wow tu as eu une belle fin de semaine toi!!! plein d,activités la chance d'assister a l'obtention de la ceinture jaune de ta niece et en plus une belle rencontre avec un couple qui adopte aux philippines et si jai bien compris , ils demeurent a gatineau.. serais-ce le meme couple que je connait??? hihhi oufff je me demande ou ta trouver le temps de finir de corriger tes test d'anglais!!! hihihi je suis pas si pire hein!!! je crois avoir quand meme bien comprise ce que tu as ecris cette fopis si a moins que je me trompes completement??!!!
    bizoux patricia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amber,

    I know exactly how that feels. It sounds like you enjoyed your meeting just as much as I enjoyed meeting Patricia on Thursday.
    If you ever get to Quebec this summer...to visit your in-laws :o)... please let me know, I'd love for us to get together.

    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and others because as much as family and friends are supportive and excited during the adoption process, they can never fully understand the emotional journey adoption takes one on as someone who is experiencing the same journey! You are so fortunate to have others in your area adopting from the Philippines. I know no one in our area but we are going this weekend to a Filipino heritage camp about 3 hours away so we are excited to network with other families!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like the last part was a little bit for us! :) I can't wait to meet you guys!

    It is good to hear that you have fun in Montreal with your nieces! And it is nice to meet people you can fully understant you! I know what you are talking about!! :D

    Enjoy your lasts days in Montreal! you are moving soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that you guys have met up with so many other families adopting from the Philippines. I don't know anyone here in Newfoundland adopting from the Philippines. There were several families who have been waiting to start their homestudies but now that you can no longer adopt a child under the age of 3, they cannot adopt from the Philippines. Here in Newfoundland we are told that we are unable to adopt (through international adoption)a child over the age of 3. Therefore, all these families have had to pick new countries. I am very disappointed as well as I had met these families already and was looking forward to our children being able to play together someday. There is a lady who lives 4 hours away who has two older boy (ages 12 and 9) but they will both be much older than my child and they also live so far away. I guess I'm just going to have to travel to Quebec to meet up with your group!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat, t'as bien compris :0)
    Mais, on a pas rencontrer Tangie et Michel encore. On déménage à Gatineau, dans leur cartier :0) On va se faire un BBQ cette été, une fois qu`on sera installée dans notre nouvelle maison. Alors, maintenants t`as encore plus de raisons de venir faire un tour à Gatineau :0)

    Tangie, that last part was definitely for you guys! I can`t wait to be settled into our new house and to finally meet you guys :0) The painters are coming the 24th of June, and the moving van around the 28th or June...so, we should be settled in by the 2nd of July! Yay! Anyway, that`s our goal...that way, we can relax a bit and enjoy the rest of our summer.

    Janice, I will definitely let you know when we`re in Quebec city :0) It would be great to get together and meet in person!

    Tammy, yes..I feel very lucky to have found so many local families adopting from the Philippines! I`m looking forward to meeting them in person someday in the near future :0)
    It`s nice not only for us, but for our child in the future! He or she won`t feel so different or out of place amongst so many other adopted children from the Philippines! I hope you guys have a great time at the Camp :0)

    Renee,
    I have only met one couple in person so far, but yes...there does seem to be a nice group of families adopting from the Philippines here in Quebec! You should definitely come and visit us :0) You`re not that far away! And St. John`s seems like a beautiful place...who knows, our travels might lead us there someday too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. good!! 2 for 1 for my gatineau travel!! I,M very happy for you because Tangie and michel is a very good person :) sorry for my anglish , I speak and write (ecrit!!) very soso!!!
    have a good day amber :)
    patricia xx

    ReplyDelete