Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day


Happy Father's day!

To be honest, my husband and I have a bit of an issue with some of these holidays, such as Valentine's day, Easter, Christmas, etc... They've become so commercial! We all know they're designed to make consumers feel guilty and go out and buy gifts!! It's all a ploy to get us to go out to the stores and spend money. That's the main purpose. Of course, this is what makes the economy go round...so it's not necessarily such a bad thing!
We want people to go shopping and to stimulate the economy and help get us out of this recession. This is what keeps the economy healthy...at least, this is how our capitalistic society works.

Don't get me wrong! We both like Mother's Day and Father's Day and we think it's a great concept. I like the idea of thanking your parents for what they've done for you, telling them how much you love them and how much they mean to you. It's a great opportunity to show gratitude to our parents. It's important to do this, and these holidays or special dedicated days provide us with a nice platform to do that. But do you need to go out to the store and buy gifts to do this? Maybe making breakfast in bed can be enough...and can actually be a nicer gesture than a store bought gift! Or for kids, maybe they can make a card or an arts and crafts project for their mom or dad. Personally, that's what I would like the most! Something that my child worked on and made just for me!! This is how we always celebrated father's day and mother's day, both in my family and in my husband's family. Just a little gesture like breakfast in bed, and a home made card or drawing...maybe some flowers. And lots of hugs and kisses and I love yous!! To me, that's what those holidays should be all about. Otherwise, it kind of ends up feeling a bit phony to me. It just feels kind of forced, and it should be natural. I think it's better to keep it real and from the heart. I am really looking forward to starting these new traditions with our child, and celebrating these different holidays together as a family. Most of all, I can't wait to watch and see my husband becoming a father. I am sure he's going to make a wonderful father someday. Words can't express how much I'm looking forward to experiencing this with Raph. It's an intense longing, which runs as deep as my desire to become a mother.

It's hard for me to even think about this, much less write about it, without becoming very emotional and tearing up. I have written before about how I have been contemplating and trying for so many years now to become a mom... but it's more than that. As a couple, my husband and I have been trying to become parents. I see my husband interact with other children, like my nieces, and I can't help wondering and thinking about what kind of a father he will make. I am so excited, thrilled and anxious...not only to become a mother, but also to see my husband become a father and to watch him interact with our child. It's an exciting, new adventure for both of us. We have a lot to learn, I know...
We'll just have to take it one step at a time! Let the adventure begin :0)

6 comments:

  1. First.. Happy fathers day to the futur papa! :)

    Second.. I really feel what you write! I don't like the commercial holidays! I HATE valentine, because, why do we have to say I LOVE YOU, celerate our love and do a special something, only 1 time in the year?? I try to have special time with my husband once every 2 months maybe! We try to have a night out of town, having fun and not think about our house and home problem.

    It is the same thing with fathers and mother day.. why do we have to say to our mom and dad 1 time in a year that we love them, buy them a gift? I like spending time with them that day.. do a special something with him or her, it can be as simple as a walk where we can talk of all kind of things. Anyway.. I like giving the gift of help and time.. thats what I prefer! :)

    AND.. Michel and I are not giving us anything for our birthday, christmas... We just bought a car, and this is going to be my birthday gift! Nice one hey? :D

    Anyway, next year, maybe Raphael will have the pleasure to have a real Fathers day, knowing who is kid is! :)

    Can't wait to finally meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats on the new car!! Now that's a great gift :0)
    You went for the Mazda 3, finally?

    Raph and I officially take possession of our new house tomorrow afternoon!! We're sooo excited! We're driving to Amos to pack up our things, and we're moving in on the 29th. I'll e-mail you our new phone number as soon as we're connected and we have a land line :0)

    I'm really looking forward to meeting you too :0) Let me know what date in early July would work for you and Michel to get together for a BBQ! Maybe on Saturday the 4th of July?! Let me know...
    Also, we're looking into reserving a spot at the campground for August 21st and the 22nd to attend the FUF Pic Nic. I'll keep you guys posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber,
    I can't wait until you guys can celebrate all of these commercial holidays as a family of three. I totally agree with everything you said above. I hate the feeling of having to buy something for someone just because it's Easter or Valentines Day or whatever. I think something homemade and personalized is much better.
    Post some pictures of your new place when you get a chance. I'd love to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, seeing your partner act as a parent, discovering who they choose to be through that role, it's an incredible manner of falling in love all over again. I know that sounds corny, but it's true to me anyway, it's like discovering a whole new person inside someone you already like quite a lot, what a beautiful gift. - your fav frenchie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you...holidays are commercial. When the Christmas stuff starts being promoted in early October, I cringe.

    It is neat watching your spouse grow and develop as a parent. Jay-R and his daddy's bond are growing. Praying your day comes soon and you will hold your little one and can watch your husband melt to pieces when he holds that little one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got around to reading this post, sorry I've been busy. I totally agree on the holiday spending thing. We celebrate Mother's and Father's day with cards from the kids and the person gets to be special that day and do what they want. We do that for birthdays also. That way we don't spend extra money.
    You are so close now to being a mom and dad and you will have so much fun. I hope your process goes quickly and that you get to start building your family before you know it.

    ReplyDelete