Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A question of communication: linguistic issues

Well, my classes are done now and I've seen my students for the last time. I also finished correcting the final exams. Raph came up for the weekend. He graciously helped me with totalling up the marks and entering the grades into the system...that way, it's all double checked, and it goes twice as fast ;0)
We also cleaned out the fridge, cleaned up the garage and the back yard (Raph would have mowed the lawn too, but there was snow on the ground in the morning!) I also did the laundry and cleaned out the clothes from our closets. Basically, we did a quick spring cleaning and got the house ready for visits. We should get our price for our old house this week from the company, and the For Sale sign will go up as soon as we accept and sign the papers. So, this is it...my classes are done, we spent our last weekend in Amos...we're really moving! It's starting to feel real now!! I received confirmation for the correcting of the College English Exit Exam. I will be working as a marker for the May session. This takes place in Montreal, so I'm going to stay at my brothers for a couple of weeks. It will be nice to spend some time with him, his wife and their two girls. I'm a little sad to be saying goodbye to our house and my students over here and to think that it's over for real...but I'm also really happy and excited to think about the new life that's about to begin for us. A new house, new city, new friends, new job...and hopefully soon, a baby. Our lives are going to change a lot over the next year or so! I'm really excited, but also a bit nervous :0) Change is good, and we learn and grow from such experiences...so I'm embracing it :0)

On the adoption front, things are moving along quietly, slowly but surely...really, there's nothing new to report! I found out that for the immigration papers, it will be a lot simpler than I thought. The letter we received was the confirmation that we were waiting for all along...I thought we would receive an official document, but Anik (our wonderful resource person!) explained to us that till we get a referral, that letter confirming they received our paperwork to open a file is all the agency needs. And the kit that immigration sent us to fill out once we receive a referral, that's only for couples adopting from China...for the Philippines, you don't need the whole kit with the pictures, etc...
But, I'm getting ahead of myself....first, we need to receive a referral before we start to worry about citizenship! Still, you need to open a file with immigration when adopting, otherwise you can't accept the referral...so, it's important.
Really, there isn't much left for us to do now till we receive our referral! There won't be much for me to report on the adoption front either...now, we just sit back and wait!!
A bloggy friend that I've been following for a few months now received a referral for an adorable twelve month old baby boy :0) I'm so excited for her and her family! It's very fun and encouraging to see referrals :0) It makes it feel more real.

I've been thinking about the language issue quite a bit recently...
Our future child will probably have heard Tagalog from the caretakers for the first year of his/her life. Maybe a little English.
My husband and his family are Francophone and they speak French.
My family is from Holland, and we speak mostly Dutch when were all together at family gatherings.
English is the international language, and it's the language which I'm most fluent and most comfortable expressing myself in... (since I moved out of my parents' house and no longer speak or hear Dutch on a daily basis, I'm losing my Dutch, even though it's technically my mother tongue!)
Now, what do we teach our child!? My husband and I are both bilingual, although my husband's French is much stronger than his English, and my English is stronger than my French (especially in writing!) I think that what we will do is: I will teach our child English and speak mostly English at home, and Raph will speak to our child mostly in French. Also, we plan on sending our child to a bilingual school, where students get equal amounts of French and English at school. I hope that my family will help in keeping the Dutch heritage and tradition alive. If our child doesn't speak French, it will be difficult for him or her to communicate with my husband's family...and if I don't teach a little Dutch to my husband and our child, we will always stand on the outside...when you have to translate or explain a joke, it just isn't funny anymore! And it's hard to follow a conversation when you're busy trying to translate or explain something...
So, yes...the language question is an issue!

I don't want to forget our child's Filipino heritage and culture either...
I think it's important to honour that as well.
One day, when our child is old enough...(and shows interest!) I would love to travel to the Philippines and visit the sites of his/her birth country. Learn about Filipino culture. But I leave this up to our child, and respect whatever he or she wishes...if going back is too painful and stirs up too many memories, or if there's no interest and our child is too North American by that time to be curious about the country of birth, I will understand and respect that too. Of course, there are ways to learn about different cultures without travelling, such as cooking traditional food, wearing traditional clothing, etc...
I am looking for a Filipino Cookbook, or just traditional recipes from the Philippines so that I can start learning how to cook at least a couple of traditional Filipino meals. If anyone has any cookbooks or recipes that they can recommend, that would be greatly appreciated :0)

10 comments:

  1. I've been having the same discussions with Eric about language. Although I was raised in Quebec, both my parents are anglophones and I only learned French in school (my verbal is better than my written French). My husband's mom is anglo (from BC)and his dad is a francophone from Quebec - but didn't and still doesn't speak french at home (even though he still has a thick french accent!). My husband went to french school and now works in a francophone environment so he is very comfortable in either language. We too were thinking that I would speak English and Eric would speak French to our little one, I just don't know how that will work out in practise. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :) Have a great time in Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky Amber to be able to show the two languages to your kid! I would love it if my kid could speak english, but it is not us, at home that will show him. I wanted to get an english daycare (since we are close to Aylmer, and it is half and half english/french), but you can't really choose your daycare! SO I will try to let him watch the tv in english, have english swimming lessons, etc..

    My sister in law is portuguese. She is speaking to the girls in portuguese, my brother in french, and they have english swimming/dancing/soccer lessons. Now they are fluent in all 3 languages! I know that you will do great! :) You will be able to bring your dutch in your family! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy-
    I feel exactly the same way! I think it's great in theory, but I'm not sure how it will work out in practise. I'm wondering if it won't get very confusing...
    We just have to be flexible and ready to adapt.
    My brother has some friends here in Montreal who've done this with their two children, and it's working out great so far! The kids are both completely bilingual (which is our goal!)and seem to know naturally what language to speak to which person.

    Tangie-
    well, you're going to have an English teacher as a neighbour very soon :0)
    I would be glad to help you guys out with English. Your child already has at least one friend who speaks English...and our kids can teach each other when they play together :0) That's the best way to learn!
    Maybe we can even sign them up for swimming lessons together someday. Swimming is my favorite sport...you'll have to tell me where the closest public swimming pool is!

    Just a thought for both of you guys...if our kids speak English and French and Tagalog...what language do you think they'll choose to communicate in when they're playing together?! Hmmm...I wonder! I think it's nice for us to have other families nearby adopting and going through the same process, but it's also going to be really nice for the kids themselves, to know that they're not alone and not so different. I am definitely looking forward to that day :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool. I really wish that Dave and I knew other languages fluently so that we could expose Eze to them. It's amazing how much children can pick up language-wise!! I took 6 years of French in high school/college and still can only remember the basics. I say teach your kids as much as possible!! I'm always amazed at how quickly Eze learns new words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy "Memories of Philippine Kitchens" which is inspired, and also "Flavors of the Philippines" which includes a sampling of representative dishes from the various regions of the Philippines.

    You are right--language is critical. It is one of the most important ways that culture is transmitted. I think having access to multiple languages and growing up multilingual will help your child develop an appreciation for different cultures rooted in his/her own personal experiences. If you are fortunate to live somewhere to live somewhere where Tagalog is taught, there may be opportunities there as well. It's a great step you're taking making the accessible parts of culture (e.g. food) routine, but like the subtleties of language, many aspects of culture are also transmitted subtlly. As such, I think it's important to make an ongoing effort to expose him/her to aspects that are beyond the symbolic (food/fesitivals/holiday). This may mean seeking out and being involved in Filipino/Fil-Canadian communities of various socio-economic levels in your area, learning about and exposing your child to Filipino/Filipino-Canadian history,etc. And while it's true that your child may show little to no interest in his/her heritage, I think much of your child's comfort in his/her ethnic identity will come from cues from you. That you are open to exploring it and incorporating it as a routine part of life is a good thing, and it will help build the blocks toward an appreciation of his/her heritage (though interest may vary with age/stage), and perhaps someday inspire in him/her a desire to explore further, but more importantly, to draw from it what he/she needs to when he/she needs to.I noticed you had some proverbs posted...an apt adage here might be: "ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan, ay hindi makakarating sa paroroonan." Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing about our family. We are so excited. Sometimes I still think that I need to wake up from a dream. I read about others getting their referrals and saw pictures of their darling children for so long that when we actually received ours, I had to keep reminding myself that he is actually ours and that I was just not reading about someone else's referral. Don't worry, your day will come. I know the wait is hard, very hard. Hang in there!

    We too might be listing our house soon. Just the thought of trying to keep it clean is stressing me out. I am a clutter freak, so it isn't that our house isn't usually picked up, but just keeping it that "sparkling" clean that is perfect for showing is super hard, especially with 2 little ones. Good luck with your move and all of the new changes.

    I bought a cookbook called "Philippine Recipes Made Easy" by Violeta A. Noriega. I have tried several dishes so far and so far they have turned out pretty good. The Chicken Adobo is my husband's favorite. I add brown sugar to the recipe and it is really good that way. I usually make it once a month. I have to admit that I am a very picky eater...very little meats and no seafood so I rarely try new foods. I am planning on living off of fruits and veggies while in the Philippines and am hoping for a McDonald's (don't really like McDonald's either, but would suck-it-up and eat it for the week). Anyways, I recommend this cookbook, especially if you aren't much of a cook. I don't like recipes that call for more than 5 ingredients. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, just saw your post and I HAD to respond - made me laugh so much! :o) When we travelled to get our daughter in 2005, all I would eat for breakfast (we stayed at the New World Renaissance and they had an awesome breakfast buffet) were fruits! Then we didn't eat anything for lunch and for dinner it was always McDonalds! (located in the basement at the Landmark). I was afraid to eat anything else ;o) heehee.... We went out to a small Italian restaurant one night (that another couple travelling with us found) and on our last night, we ordered spaghetti to our room... Other than that - McDonalds, McDonalds and McDonalds teeheehee ;o)

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for sharing! Now that I have a few different titles, I can go and find some cookbooks from the Phillipines :0) I'm so excited! I can't wait to try those recipes! I'll let you know how it goes :0)
    Thank you for all of your encouragement and support, I really appreciate it! I am very grateful for my new bloggy friends :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amber

    I am so happy to read that I am not the only one with these language thoughts.... Even it is still a long way to referral I am already having sleepless nights because of this. As we expect to get an older child (3-4 years) I feel the question of which language to speak is important, but how to cope with it in practise, I am not there yet. My hubby is danish, I am finnish and we speak danish to each other. Both are fluent in english (better oral...;)). I would really love to speak finnish to our becoming child but then my husband doesnt understand a word of it and in fact this is the one that makes me confused. Shall I then have to explain to him what I am saying to our child? Or should we continue with english if our child already has basis on that (many filipinos are fluent in english)... Ooh my, maybe we should start a new group in yahoo for 'bilinguistic adoption families'

    Anyway, looking forward to sharing experiences on this.
    BR Maija

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maija,
    I agree with you, the language issue is even more important for older adopted children! I too have spent some sleepless nights thinking about this issue. Our situation is quite similar, since my husband doesn't speak Dutch either...maybe the trick is to start by teaching our husbands first, and then teach our little ones. It's good practice for the future! But that involves a lot of work...I think I prefer to concentrate on English and to make sure that our child speaks at least one language properly first. I'm afraid if we try too much at once, he or she will end up feeling lost and confused (and we might create some learning problems...) I don't want our child to fall behind in school because of language issues!! It's an important decision. It's pretty tough...

    Anyway, keep me posted Maija! I'm very interested in hearing how things work out for you guys :0)

    ReplyDelete