Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Filipino cuisine continued...

Thank you all for your wonderful responses! Yay, now I have a few titles to look for at the bookstore :0) I can't wait to try some of those recipes...I'll let you know how it goes!

I too believe that it's very important to expose our child to more than just the symbolic food, costumes and holidays by getting involved in local Filipino culture. I think that it's vital in the forming of the identity of our child. After all, our child is, and will always be, Filipino. That's part of who he or she is! I want him or her to know what that means, what it entails and to be proud of this. Reading Emilie's comment on cultural integration, it really resonates with me. Deep down, this is what I truly hope for! All the books that I've read so far on international adoption express this exact same idea of exposing the child to various cultures (in particular the culture of the child's country of birth) as being what's best for identity formation and bonding. I think when we're talking about inter-racial adoption, this becomes even more important. I'm still not quite sure how to get involved in local Filipino culture, but I think I just have to be on the lookout for cultural activities locally...and be open and receptive to different opportunities that present themselves. Actually, such an opportunity presented itself just this weekend! A close friend of mine, M, mentioned that she might be able to put us in touch with some people she knows. Her step-mother's brother is married to a Filipino lady. They will be in town this summer, and we are trying to arrange something so that we can meet them! My husband and I are really looking forward to this, and we hope it works out. M forwarded my last posting concerning Filipino recipes to them, and they responded that Filipino cooking involves rice, rice, and more rice :0) I thought that was cute (and undoubtedly very true, like most Asian cooking!) They also graciously forwarded the following link, which I thought I would share with you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_Philippines
It's a great link describing the staple Filipino foods and also has some traditional recipes from the Philippines.
On a side note: now I'm really glad that we've got a rice steamer! It makes the best rice, and it's sooo simple to use! I don't like machines, but this one's really basic and user friendly, and the rice comes out perfect each time! As for the McDonald's...I was just talking about this with my sister in law C, whose family is from China and who has travelled to Asia a few times. We were talking about some of the different delicatessens and the different dishes that they eat over there. In most of Asia (other than the rice, which we've already covered!) they also generally like to eat ALL parts of the animal. My brother and I joked that there's always a McDonald's, if worse comes to worse! You can find that almost anywhere. She said: you guys laugh, but the best McDonald's I ever had was actually in Japan! It actually tastes different in different countries. Although I've never been to Asia, I have to agree that the McDonald's I've eaten in Europe did taste different! And my husband's take on all of this? Hey, I am not travelling all the way to the Philippines to eat McDonald's!! Raph has always had a strong stomach and isn't a picky eater at all, so I'm sure he'll be fine. Still, something tells me that we won't feel much like trying different restaurants in the Philippines with our little one in tow...honestly, I imagine we'll probably be spending most of our time in the hotel room, ordering in room service (if possible!) and just getting to know each other. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things go when our turn comes :0)

On a different note, I thought that I would include a picture of some tulips, for the month of May! It's tulip season in Ottawa :0) Each year, the Dutch royal family donates tulips to Ottawa to thank them for having taken in the Queen of Holland during the second world war.



My picture of tulips, which I had posted in the title space previously to represent Ottawa, and of course my dutch heritage. I don't want to forget my dutch culture and language either :0) I will do my best to find a balance, and to keep all of the different languages and cultures alive...

7 comments:

  1. A couple of thoughts...I, too, love our little rice cooker. I also love the Birdseye steamfresh pop in the mircrowave white rice...it's quick and easy and Jay-R has rice within minutes. Also, we especially loved the Pizza Hut in the Philippines. They delivered it to our hotel room and we thought it was way better than our local Pizza Hut...much less greasy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While hanging out with a couple young cousins during a visit to the Philippines some years ago, their unanimous choice for lunch was McDonald's. There, they ordered burgers and rice (they took the buns off and ate the meat with the rice), and spaghetti. They also informed me McD delivered. It was a hit. You may be surprised -- you might be able to easily go out with your little one. We ate out quite a bit with our very aware and active 9 and a half month old in tow. It was very do-able :-) it was also nice to not be cooped up in a room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, I found this site awhile ago...Haven't tried any recipes, but they all look yummy!
    http://pinoycook.net/

    Happy reading & cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. bonjour amber :) comme je te lai deja dit , jai de la difficulté avec mon anglais mais , jaime beaucoup essayer de te lire au complet!!!!ejn comprend des bout mais pas tout! jaimerais telleemtn tout te comprendre :)) comme janice , tu peux aussi me compter dans les obssessives!!!!!! je cliques sur vos blogs aussi souvent que je peux dans la journée juste au cas ou! et en particulié le tien car , jy arriverai un jour! je comprendrai tout tout tout!!!!! ( cest un andicap pour moi que jessais fort fort de transformé en bilinguisme...)
    a bientot
    patricia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salut Pat,
    bienvenue! Merci beaucoup pour tes commentaires :0) Je suis très touchée de savoir que tu fait tout cet effort la pour suivre mon blog :0) C`est vraiment superb! Tu sait, je suis prof d`anglais...ca me ferait plaisir de t`aider :0) Si il y a des mots ou des phrases que tu ne comprends pas, gene toi pas de me le demander :0) Tu peut toujours me laisser une commentaire en francais, ou m`envoyer un courriel! Je vais continuer de suivre ton blog...j`ai vraiment hate de lire que t`a recu une proposition et de voir des photos de ton petit tresor :0) En esperant que l`attente ne soit pas trop longue...(je le sais, des jours ca va bien, d`autres jours...c`est plus difficile!)

    Merci encore, et bon courage :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tammy and Emilie,
    I'll have to remember that! Pizza hut and McDonald's! Like you say, Emilie, it might be a lot easier than I think to bring our little one to a restaurant or out shopping. I don't want to be stuck in the hotel room for an entire week! Besides, if we don't go out while we're there, then it might be a real drama when it comes time to take our flight back home! The crowds of the airport are unavoidable...

    ReplyDelete