Thursday, September 10, 2009

Seven months since ICAB approval!!

Today is my dad's birthday!! Happy birthday...have a great day!
My parents were in town for the long weekend. My husband and I went to Montreal for labor day. We went out for lunch at a really nice restaurant by the river. We sat outside and ate in the garden of the hotel restaurant. The weather was beautiful and the food was delicious! I got to see my sister and meet her new boyfriend as well, which was great. He seems like a very nice guy! We had a BBQ at my brother's house in the evening, and then we drove back home. On Tuesday, Raphael went back to work. We had a good time together, especially the last week of his vacation. The first few days, he did a lot of projects around the house and ran errands. It took him a few days to relax and unwind...
We went to the hot air balloon festival in our town. It was actually fun! It's kind of like a big fair. We checked out the stands and the shows. In the evening, we went to go watch the hot air balloons set up and take off. Unfortunately, there was too much wind and they weren't allowed to take off. It was too dangerous. Oh well, maybe next year...
At night, Kenny Rogers gave a show. Our bracelets gave us access to this as well, so we decided to go and check it out. There were a lot of people! We're not huge fans of his, but Raphael likes his song "The Gambler."
My parents came to visit us in Ottawa on Tuesday. They had lunch with some friends, and then came over to see our new house and have dinner with us. It was a short but sweet visit!

Job wise, I've started working for the Y. I'm enjoying working with the kids! I've been offered the Supervisor position for the kindergarten group. The pay and the hours aren't great though...compared to my job where we lived before!! I'm also doing some substitute teaching here and there. Still, I continue to send out my CV and go to interviews to find something more interesting, something more in my field...even if it's part-time. So, we'll see what happens...

I just realized that it is also our seven month anniversary. I usually think about it a few days ahead...I didn't see it coming at all this month. I haven't been online as much lately, I've been spending time with Raph...and job hunting! Yay!! We're another step closer. I think about the Philippines and the adoption a lot. My mom asked me what exactly Raph and I expect from her and his mom when we go to get our child. I couldn't really answer that question. I'm not quite sure what to expect myself! She wanted to know if we want them waiting for us at the airport, or later...how did we see this. It's a very reasonable question...it made the whole adoption suddenly seem very real!! I will definitely want to introduce our child to his grand-parents and his aunts and uncles as soon as possible!! I haven't figured out how to do this yet without overwhelming the child. Also, I want to be protective and ensure that bonding and attachment happens in those first months. I think my mom had the best plan when she suggested that we simply introduce and integrate our child into our life gradually, with one couple at a time. All of our family and friends will be eager and curious to meet our child. We'll have to slowly build our way up to big group get togethers!! Raph and I can't wait...and I realize that my family and friends(especially my mom and Raph's mom!) are very eager and excited for us too. It's nice to feel such support!! We're going to have to think of a nice way to announce our referral as well...well, we still have some time to come up with an idea. The problem is, I keep thinking "oh, it's still far away...there's still lots of time..." But, it's going to happen when we least expect it...

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on another month!!!

    We introduced people slowly to Jay-R...a few people at a time. That seemed to work well for him.

    Glad you are enjoying the job. Good luck on your continued search for something FT. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your time in Montreal sounded lovely. I've always wanted to visit there but never have. Good luck with the job hunting.
    Congrats on having another month under your belt. I found the first several months after ICAB approval long but here lately time is just flying by. I've also been trying to think of a neat way to announce our referral to family and friends. If you come up with any interesting ideas, I'd love to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so feel like I'm coming to burst your bubble... but this is not the point, really... I'm just talking here with my experience when we got our daughter's referral... Of course, I had a million scenarios in my head on how I wanted to tell my husband ('cause yes, I had it set in my mind that *I'm* the one who was going to take this call haha) and my family.... Well guess what, when the call came in, I was alone and all those scenarios were kicked to the curb fast enough! I just called my husband crying hysterically telling him we had a 7 month old daughter. Then called my parents and just told them like it is... No fancy announcement... I could not think straight... So however you announce it to your family and friends, it will BE special! :o) It'll be your child, YOUR announcement :))
    And about your family meeting you guys at the airport... trust me, it does feel good to see "your gang", "your people", at the airport when coming back with your child... just make it seems much more real I find... Anyways, too much talking here haha, had to put my 2 cents.... Hope your wait ends soon and that you get the call ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'ai bien hâte de le voir, ce petit coeur... mais je vais attendre que vous soyez prêts à le présenter aux cousins! : ) Je suis certaine que vous allez faire pour le mieux.

    À bientôt!

    ReplyDelete