Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A rant post

Okay, this is a rant post!
I truly believe that working in the field of adoption requires a certain tact, a certain sensibility. Those who don't have it naturally should either receive a training or simply work elsewhere!! I received a phone call about a week ago from our local Youth Centre to inform me that they were missing a few documents in our adoption file. I gave her the name of the lady who helped us back in Amos, where we lived before. The lady back in Amos is a very nice, helpful lady and she had promised to forward our documents to our local centre over here in Gatineau. Amos is a very small town, and everything was very personalized over there. The people were all very helpful and understanding and always had all the time in the world to answer any of our questions. Our registration went very smoothly, and I was sad when I had to call them to transfer our documents to Gatineau. Apparently, they did not receive all of the paper work in Gatineau, and there were still some documents missing. So I gave the lady the contact information, and she was going to contact the Youth Centre in Amos concerning the missing documents. She left me a message on my answering machine, telling me that everything was in order. Yesterday, the lady from our local Youth Centre called me back, telling me that the documents were still missing. Huh?! Then she told me that they need the originals of these documents in order for us to go into adoption. What did she say?! In order for us to adopt? Uhm....we received our acceptance from the Philippines almost eight months ago...we sent off our file a long time ago!! And they're asking for these documents NOW? The originals left for the Philippines eight months ago!! What is this?! Maybe I'm overreacting, but I felt very frustrated...she was very insensitive and unsympathetic...and not helpful in the least. I got together copies of the originals of the documents that she asked for, and gave them to my husband to fax to her from his office. When I told him the story, he was very upset too. My practical, logical husband reacted quite emotionally, to my surprise...which made me realize that maybe I hadn't overreacted, and that the wait for adoption is going very well for my husband, but only as long as there are no bumps in the road!! Usually he's the strong one and he sees bumps in the road as a challenge and a learning process, not as a deterrent. But when it comes to adoption, he seems to find this more difficult to do!! Anyway, he wanted to talk to her himself to find out exactly why they need the original version of these documents all of a sudden. We can understand why they might need a copy of our birth certificates and our marriage certificate, but why didn't they have it in Amos already!? Most importantly, why wasn't she more helpful and understanding? She should be working with us to figure it out, not against us! Like I said before, working at a fertility clinic or in the field of adoption requires a certain tact, a certain level of sympathy and understanding. If you don't have it, then you should probably work elsewhere!! Arghhh.....

6 comments:

  1. Oh AMber! De ce que j'en comprends, il y a un flagrant manque de compétence!!! Et oui tu as bien raison les gens qui travaillent en lien avec l'adoption devraient connaître le sens de la compassion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber..so sorry to hear about your run-in with Youth Services...hopefully all will be straightened out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just goes to say that not everyone is working at the right place. Maybe that person didn't realize she would have to interact with human beings when she actually got the job...duh!!! I'm sure things will work out but until then, just know that we are there for you.
    xx
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! They probably require the original documents that you gave back in Amos... not your adoption file itself. But I mean, transferring from a youth centre to the other should not be complicated! Whenever I had a problem with the youth centre, I always spoke with Yves Charlebois. Very nice man! :o) Be strong Amber! I know it's difficult though when dealing with incompetent people!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouraging comments! Yes, they require the original documents...which we sent to the youth centre about eight months ago, when we were still in Amos. They forwarded our file over to Gatineau from Amos, but apparently some documents are still missing. No one knows where they are! Back in Amos, they say they've already transfered everything from our file, and here in Gatineau they tell us they're still missing some things. So, it's frustrating but we have no choice...we just have to send over the missing documents, and hope that that's it! Thanks for the contact info Melanie!! It's always very useful to knw the right people to talk to. We put all of the missing documents in the mail yesterday, if there are any other issues I will definitely contact Yves Charlebois.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! How frustrating! We had to resend a few things that we thought had already been sent too. It's so frustrating when you think everything is in order only to be told different -- especially when they're not very sympathetic.
    I hope things work out quickly!

    ReplyDelete