Wednesday, August 26, 2009

FUF Picnic!


We just had another busy weekend! It was a very nice weekend though. Our agency organized a picnic for all the families adopting from the Philippines and Vietnam. It was great to get a chance to meet different families from all over Quebec, at various phases and stages of adoption. I'm a shy and reserved person by nature, so meeting large groups of people like that always feels a bit intimidating to me. I always have to be careful not to stay in my corner and hide in my shell. Of course, it was particularly fun to see all the beautiful children, and day dream about coming back to this annual picnic with our little one some day in the near future. We also got the chance to meet a few families whose stories I've been following through their blogs...it was really wonderful to finally meet in person! I hope we get the chance to do this again sometime. After the picnic, we planned to camp out with a few other couples from our agency. In the evening, we had a dinner of corn on the cob and hot dogs. Later on in the evening, we made a nice camp fire and sat around the fire, talking about adoption. It was really nice to be surrounded like that by people all living the same thing, people who understand what we're going through and who are experiencing the same feelings and emotions as us. Even though we just met, to me it felt as though we already knew each other. There just seems to be a bond created by adoption that brings us together. The fact that we've been following each other's blogs probably helps!! In any case, it was a great weekend, and I look forward to meeting these wonderful families again sometime soon :0)

Job wise, I had my interview at the local College. Unfortunately, I did not get the position. It went to someone with more teaching experience, a teacher with seniority. I am quite disappointed, it was EXACTLY the full-time teaching position that I really wanted...but, I'm on their list of substitute teachers now and if one of their English teachers should get ill or take a leave of absence then they will call me. I am still hoping this might happen!! It has happened to me twice before in the past, so it is possible! There are a lot of retirements coming up as well, so I will try again in January and next September. I also sent my CV to the school board in our area, and I'm on their list as well. I am also on the list of teachers at a language school in Ottawa...I've already filled in for a teacher a few times there the past couple of weeks...so, I have a few different possibilities. Now, I sit by the phone and wait for a phone call!! We'll see what happens in September, when the school year really starts...in the meantime, I've been offered a kindergarten group at the YMCA after-school program. This should be fun and will keep me busy. Another bonus is that working for the Y gives me free access to the pool and the gym...so, I could start swimming again!! Yay!! In the next couple of weeks I should have a better idea of what I'll be doing this fall.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy the perks of the swimming pool! Being with kindergarteners will be fun, too. We are coaching Jay-R's kindergarten soccer team...that's an experience!

    Glad you enjoyed the picnic. There is an incredible bond that adoption creates between people. I love the people I have met through blogs who do understand the emotions and process we are going through! Networking is great...so glad your agency does this. I wish we had something like this close. Our international agency is about 5 hours away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nous aussi on a adorer notre fin de semaine en camping avec vous! ce fut tres agreable :) je tenvois plein de belles pensées positive pour ton travail un jour tu l'aura ton poste cest certain! nous sommes la preuves que tout peut arrivé :) a bientot xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour Amber!
    J'ai été aussi très ravie de faire ta connaissance. Tout comme toi, je suis du genre plus réservée et les grands rassemblements ne sont pas toujours évidents! ;)
    C'est avec plaisir que nous vous reverons la prochaine fois.Pour plus longtemps certainement!
    Je vois que tu es aussi enseignante (moi aussi!). Je te souhaite d'avoir un appel rapidement pour être bien occupée... pour que le temps passe rapidement!
    Au plaisir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picnic sounds like a fantastic idea. What a great chance to meet other families also involved in the adoption process. I wish that they had something like that here.
    It's too bad that you didn't get the job you wanted but I'm sure that another great opportunity will come along very soon.

    ReplyDelete